Monday, August 3, 2009

the mixer & the crystal, part II

Okay, I would be remisce if I didn't include photographs of this stuff. Also, got a really interesting comment from Melissa G that I totally want to share:
I think you may change your mind about the Crystal. I didn't really care for it, but my MIL insisted that we register for it. I pretty much planned to return it for store credit after the wedding but something made me hold on to it, and I'm so glad I did. I don't love it because it's fancy or expensive. I like that it makes a dinner feel special. To me it represents our wedding and our marriage. And a kind of tradition. We make it a point to use it at least once a month because what's the point if it's only going to take up storage?

Hope that doesn't sound like assvice. Just thought I'd lend some experience.
Melissa, that's actually awesome advice. I really enjoy the feedback because not many of my friends are married (except you Heather!) and so my lifeline to this stuff are my mom and future MIL, and neither of them has been through this in about 30 years. So, you know, even if I'm being snarky it's just because I'm trying to be cute, if you're reading you are totally allowed to disagree! And both Steph and Heather mentioned that their mixer was a good thing.

The Mixer.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm pretty sure this thing is going to get some use. And it's such a pretty color (my favorite since childhood, in fact). Thanks, Mom.

The crystal really is quite lovely, and actually, as far as crystal goes, these things are pretty useful. BT-dubs, I mention the brands & patterns not to be a jerk off, but in case you really like it, then you know what it is! Future MIL gifted a lovely, simple vase because I always have flowers in the house . . . well, any time I have anyone over anyway. So yes, this will get, and already has gotten, some use. The brand is Mikasa, the pattern is Patridge.

My first crystal vase.


My Memere bought me a lovely trifle dish, not too big, not too small, and with a scalloped edge so you don't have to fill it all the way. My mom has always made use of her trifle dish, and there's no way I can't fill that with lady fingers and cream. The next couple to come over for a four-person dinner party is in for a treat. The brand is Shannon by Godinger and the pattern is Dublin.

Trifle bowl & dessert dishes.

Oh! And one of Dan's cousins actually sent us our very first wedding gift almost immediately! I absolutely adore this soup dish. It has three pieces: there is a leaf-shaped plate underneath the cabbage-shaped tureen and the rabbit poking out is the handle for the lid. To say I got a bunny-rabbit soup dish really doesn't do it justice, but the photos sure do.


Bohemian Rabbit in a Cabbage Soup Tureen

The card that accompanied it said it came from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but sadly I can't find it anywhere online, which is just too bad. The dish is so beautiful and I would never regift it, but I would certainly buy it for someone else (thereby regifting a really great idea). For now I'll just have to live knowing I have a relatively unique item, how unusual it is to not be able to find something online!

The tureen is a reproduction of a common Bohemian tureen theme with a rabbit in a head of cabbage, and from what Dan tells me, his family has some history in Prague. This is the kind of kitchen thing that is pretty enough to live in the living room. Man, I just really love it.

Bohemian Rabbit in a Cabbage Soup Tureen

5 comments:

  1. Props to Melissa for actually using the stuff! I have a good set of friends who use their good silver as their everyday utensils. It always feels like an extra special occasion even if we are just eating hot dogs and salad :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to admit...the mixer is gorgeous! I love that the colour makes it look old-timey. Mine is read and gets barely any use. I'm going to try fondant in it this week. Which may ruin it, but I'll just use it as a decoration then I suppose.

    Not an ounce of crystal on our registry, but we did get a Mikasa platter that we neeeever use. I think I'll get it out tomorrow and appreciate it now!

    I wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mixer will get tons of use. Ours isn't in such a lovely fresh color (just plain white), but it's like having a second pair of hands in the kitchen, especially around the holidays when we're in super baking mode. I love that soup dish; truly unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, the soup toureen is SO awesome - I kinda had an image in my head from your description, but it's so much cooler than I was imagining.

    also re: lady fingers+cream in your trifle dish. when did you want us to come over???!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww shucks. I'm glad my advice wasn't obnoxious. I didn't want to sound like an old married Hen telling you how you'll feel in five years. =)

    ReplyDelete