Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Super cool tidbit that came my way via my matron of honor.



DID YOU KNOW?

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, one can apply for a One Day Marriage Designation in lieu of a justice of the peace? It's true! You can have anyone you know officiate the ceremony. It costs $25 and requires a "letter of reference attesting to the applicant's high standard of character." Psh, yeah, right, like we know anybody ANYONE would attest to good character. Additional information kindly provided gratis by mass.gov

So this is SO super cool that I really can't pass it up, but unfortunately I don't have any good ideas on a candidate. I would prefer a family member, but I don't want someone from my wedding party, or parents or grandparents. And my attitude toward the family members I'm left with really highlights how my relationship with my extended family is awkward at best (and depraved at worst), though we're probably just average in terms of wild family craziness.

I have this cousin who lives nearby with whom I'm friendly, but we're still not bestest buds or anything, we just hang out occasionally. I have a few other cousins, but nobody really cut out for that kind of thing. My mom recommended considering my godparents, but my uncle is divorced from the family and I haven't seen him since his second wife's funeral, and my aunt has a . . . tumultuous history with my mom, though in her older age she's very nice and there haven't been any incidents in years.

I'll have to see if Groom has anyone in mind in his family. Worst case we can just find a good mutual friend, though those people tend to be the (small) wedding party. Too bad we don't know any comedians or clown school graduates.


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It's nice to have someone you know do your ceremony. My grandmother was the officiant at our wedding. She was Deputized by the County and worked for the court house marrying people in her spare time. (I'm near San Francisco.)

    It definitely adds a more personal feeling to the ceremony, and it helped put me at ease in front of 200 people. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll come do it for you ;) very fun though! who knew you could do such a thing!

    ReplyDelete