Wednesday, July 22, 2009

on bridezillas (the show)



My whole life I've avoided movies, shows and generalized thoughts about having a wedding. I figured that until I'm actually engaged I have no business giving a shit about that stuff, because my wedding would have more to do with my partner and our relationship and who knows what that would be like til the time came? And to be honest, I didn't really think about marriage until my early 20s anyway, and I don't want to be disappointed because the fairy tale I've concocted in my head will never come true, so better not to have one so longstanding.

But now, there are no holds barred.

So I was flipping through OnDemand the other night and saw the Bridezilla show and decided to give it a go. The yelling alone gave me a headache, nevermind the actual absurdity sprewing forth, and watching this thing made me feel like "wow, I am so freakin easy-going, I didn't even know." But I get the feeling this is kind of the point, to make relatively normal brides-to-be feel like they really got their shit TOGETHER.

You're not supposed to like the brides; they're meant to be a cultural other, the people you don't identify with in your superiority and relative calmness; you can be a real bitch and still feel this way, these ladies are clearly assholes all the time. And while that might feel good, it's cheap.

I think the show would be a lot more appealing to me if they actually humanized the brides. If they at least let you like them for a few minutes before showing how reasonable ladies turn into crazy bitches right quick when they insist on the Tiffany's jewelry, the five reception dresses (no joke, this one lady needed FIVE reception dresses, I'm not even getting ONE), the seventeen bridesmaids. It would take the show from Springer to a cautionary tale: "roll with the punches lest ye look this foolish and shrill."

3 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the concept of a "reception dress". Am I to assume that this means some women wear a different dress to their reception than they did during the ceremony? Because that's downright idiotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Japan, the wedding/reception is like a fashion show, going from one kimono to another, but it's just a status thing, to show that your family's got dolla-dolla billz, yo. An interesting thing, but financially unsound. I admit the Bridezillas are cracked-out but strangely watchable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make my fiance watch Platinum Weddings with me. It is less annoying and has the same effect -- watching someone else pay $17,000 for a wedding dress and spend $100,000 on a reception (which, by the way, is always either Daddy or future-hubby's money) sure makes you seem like the dream bride! : )
    -E

    ReplyDelete